By Moses Gisa
A Dutch-based Genocide suspect Charles Ndereyehe Ntahontuye ‘Karoli’ who was arrested in the Dutch capital Amsterdam on 8 this month but released the following day by the Dutch Police cannot seat easy, observers say. He was released on a technicality, because his lawyers argued “he had been irregularly deprived of his Dutch citizenship.”
An international arrest warrant, issued on April 20, 2010 by Rwanda led to his inclusion on the Interpol “Red Notice” list. “That makes him a very imminent candidate for arrest,” observers comment.
The head of FDU-Inkingi Justin Bahunga became the subject of laughter on social media when he attempted to deny Ndereyehe’s role in the Genocide. “Ndereyehe’s release by the Dutch Police does not erase the fact that he’s a genocide perpetrator who committed crimes against humanity in the Genocide,” informed Rwandan Twitter accounts commented. “Ndereyehe’s arrest warrants remain, and he remains on Interpol’s wanted list. He will soon be brought to book, just like his fellow criminals,” more commentators added.
Ndereyehe was tried in absentia and convicted for genocide crimes committed in the former ISAR-Rwanda Agricultural Research Institute based in Huye. On November 5, 2008, the Gacaca court in the Southern Province sentenced Ndereyehe for life over masterminding and taking part in the killings of staff, students as well as the Tutsi families neighboring ISAR.
“Ndereyehe ordered cuts of ISAR staff’s salaries to fund the killings of Tutsi. He at one time pledged Rwf 10,000 for every Tutsi killed. Over 300 Tutsis were killed on his orders on April 26, 1994, including women, children, and babies,” a genocide survivor said.
The association of Genocide survivors in their umbrella IBUKA called on the Dutch prosecution to deport the fugitive. “Ndereyehe did not only evade justice for his heinous crimes but also has been actively engaging in the Genocide denialism activities and promoting the Genocide ideology across Europe,” said Naphtali Ahishakiye, IBUKA’s Executive Secretary quoted saying.
According to Dr Jean-Damascène Bizimana, CNLG’s Executive Secretary, during Ndereyehe’s tenure as head of Gikongoro Agricultural Development Project (PDAG), he connived with former Gikongoro’s deputy commander of Gendarmerie, Captain Faustin Sebuhura to form the Interahamwe militia which later carried out the massacres of Tutsi in the former Gikongoro prefecture.
Fugitive Ndereyehe is also a founding member of the Republican Rally for Democracy in Rwanda (RDR), a terrorist group formed by Genocidaires who fled justice after the genocide. RDR was formed on April 3, 1995, in former Zaire, the current Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Ndereyehe later joined and was appointed in the top leadership of Victoire Ingabire’s former terror outfit, FDU-Inkingi, bent on destabilizing Rwanda.
“The walls are closing on these genocidaires, with the arrests of Kabuga and Ntiwiragabo,” commented a Facebook account. “One can be certain that justice will be served to the victims of their crimes. It should as well serve as a wakeup call to those in hiding, they won’t escape justice forever.”
The Rwandan prosecution insists fugitive Ndereyehe should be extradited to face the genocide charges. The Dutch government has in the past extradited genocide fugitives for trial in Rwanda, such as Jean Baptiste Mugimba and Jean Claude Iyamuremye in November 2016.